Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Lincoln's Beard this Movie was Confusing!

Manchurian Candidate... yeah, not feeling it, and the worst part was that I went in with such high hopes and just instantly became confused! I feel like I shouldn't have know that the Mom would end up manipulating him prior to watching the movie so then I wouldn't have over analyzed the scenes with him and his mother, which were annoying. I absolutely loathed the main character pretty much the whole movie, he was supposed to be this mean cold hearted general... but he overdid the part way way too much at the beginning, I felt like ever other line of dialogue was either "I can't believe I said something nice about the General!" or else it was "I keep having these nightmares!" So with such witty dialogue as that it just seemed like this movie was going nowhere, for a very long time. Then oh hey it's frank sinatra ... doing his thing, and I was like wait what I thought this story was about the first guy so now I have no idea who the candidate is and who was running for office. I didn't really understand that the stepfather was running for vice president, they made it seem more like he was running for senator. I also completely missed the whole deal about his stepdad accusing all these people of being communists, what did that have to do with anything? I mean these guys are brainwashed to kill high political figures so why would the new leader who apparently hates communists help the communists?

So then the movie suddenly decides oh hey let's just go off on a huge side story about the main dude and his ex-girlfriend and how he got along great with the communists and his mom hated it...alright. Then we find out the Queen of Hearts through solitaire controls the guy, and let the over use of the Queen of Hearts begin, holy crap they were literally beating us with that giant card costume, i just wanted to yell "Yeah we get it, what's he gonna do lets finish this jeez!" It wasn't until the very e
nd of the film that the action picked up and stuff actually made sense which I guess was kind of the point that there was a lot of my
stery to this picture but I found it to be too much in the dark til the end, regardless the ending was fast-paced and awesome. I honestly didn't see it coming and thought it was a really cool way to end the film.

My favorite character was the girlfriend of the main character because she seemed to be the only normal person in the whole picture, everyone else was drastically over the top, and I also liked her because she was stunningly attractive. I also enjoyed the stepdad vice-president because that dud
e would be all crazy on the broadcasting and in front of the public and then would go and party his butt off in an abraham lincoln costume. Holy crap that guy loved Lincoln, I mean Abraham was in pretty much every scene of this movie, I could not for the life of me figure out why? Is Lincoln the most patriotic and anti-communist figure in our past? I'd probably say no, if anything he's mor
e of a communist then other presidents in that he helped in making all men equal under the law in America which is kind of communist in a very vague way. In relation to that costume party I liked how each costume worn related to the character's future endeavors...stepdad is Lincoln because he plans on being future president but then is shot... the main character guy is a cowboy (hilarious costume btw) and he shoots people later on... the girlfriend is the queen of heart because she marries and is in love and the card stands for death in this film which she ends up dying
 due to the card ...I can't quite remember what the mom was wearing but I feel like it was a greek goddess like get up which would make sense because she plans to become the future Goddess of America (First lady).

This movie did answer the age old question though that has always bothered me . . . exactly how low could Abraham Lincoln limbo if he was alive today (and if he had thrown a few back before).

No comments:

Post a Comment