Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Jarvis is a horrible name...



So my thoughts on Touch of Evil... not so great, thus why I never was motivated until now to write up my response to the film. This movie kind of hurt me cause I was really pumped to watch a classic film noir peice and I got over an hour and a half of a fat guy walking around, people yelling JARVIS! A super obvious and boring storyline, and Latino music galore. Why was Jarvis so cold to his wife? I mean who leaves their wife to walk around by herself after a carbombing, and then leave her alone at a creepy motel in the middle of the desert, and everytime he sees her barely kiss her. Worst husband ever, it must be because he's such a dedicated cop ... like I haven't seen this story a thousand times good cop tries to take down corrupt cop, sure back then this was probably a newly formed movie idea but it's been played so much since then it's lost its excitement.

Here's another big question what was up with the hooker lady the fat cop going to see? Is that like the only person he lo
ves? Did he use to be skinny? What is their past, it was very lightly touched upon and she was super odd looking and unaffectionate to him until he dies at the end and she walks away alone ... but wasn't she alone before the fat cop showed up? I didn't get it.

Not to say this film totally sucked, the film work was freaking amazing! That whole opening shot was ridiculous, it was set-up and followed in the perfect manner and I don't think I've ever been so nervous during a black and white film ever before it was my favorite part of the whole movie and made me pumped to watch the rest. I mean we all saw the bomb planted and didn't really have enough time to see who it was who put the bomb in, the
refore allowing us to be in the dark 
on the murder, and then we have to watch the uncontrollable scene unfold, simply genius, it almost reminded me of a Wes Anderson like shot. Wells does alot with the lighting and crazy mexican music especially during the big murder scene towards the end of the film where the fat cop frames Jarvis's wife and kills the mexican boss guy. The craziness of all the images and the amount of darkness really helped in sealing the deal of the overall feel of the movie. I also enjoyed when Jarvis beat the crap out of ALL those guys in the bar, all of them, you bad ass Jarvis.

3 comments:

  1. Jarvis????

    And yeah, it's not classic noir at all. It's Welles. He's pretty individualistic--esp with his camera technique. He's known for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wait was it Yarvis? lol my bad

    ReplyDelete